I’ve just discovered from the folks at CNN.com that today is a very day… Happy National Grilled Cheese Day!
From simple sandwiches served alongside plain tomato soup in school cafeterias to esoteric masterpieces created in high-end restaurants, the grilled cheese is ubiquitous in American cuisine. There are endless recipes using every variety of bread and cheese. Everyone I know has their particular favorite and they are pretty adamant about defending their version as “the best”.
And… in case you’re wondering, my basic grilled cheese is “the best”! I will, however, admit that I like to experiment and try new recipes and there are many very good ones out there.
Alex’s Basic Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices white bread (I use Pepperidge Farms)
- 3 slices American cheese (do not use cheese food or cheese product)
- olive oil
- Put about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small frying pan and heat over medium heat.
- Assemble sandwich and place in frying pan.
- Cook until one side is golden brown.
- Using a spatula, lift sandwich out of pan, add another 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Flip sandwich and cook until second side is golden brown.
- Remove from pan and enjoy!!